Vegan Baklava (Opa!) (Serves 12)
*This treat will last for up to 2 weeks covered in the fridge!
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon (can add extra to taste)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1/3 cup raw almonds
8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
1/4 cup light olive oil, macadamia nut oil or melted coconut oil
1/2 cup Sunnybo Hunny
1/4 cup cold water
Zest of 1/2 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C
- Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan
- In a blender, blitz the brown sugar and cinnamon until finely ground and powdery. Transfer to a small bowl.
- In the blender, pulse all nuts together. Combine the nut mixture and sugar cinnamon mixture in a bowl.
- To keep them moist, cover the phyllo sheets with a large piece plastic wrap, then cover that with a kitchen towel that’s slightly damp. Remove 1 sheet and place it on a clean work surface.
- Brush half the phyllo sheet with olive or coconut oil. Fold the sheet in half and place it in the prepared pan, then brush the top with oil. Repeat with 1 more sheet.
- Now add your first nut layer - scatter 1/3 of your nut mixture over the phyllo in an even layer. Repeat the layering with 2 more sheets phyllo, 1/3 more nuts, 2 more phyllo sheets, and the last 1/3 of the nut mixture. Layer the last 2 phyllo sheets on top.
- Using a sharp paring knife, score the top layer of phyllo into squares or triangles.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the phyllo is lightly golden and crisp.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the Sunnybo Hunny, water, and lemon zest and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Remove and discard the zest.
- Pour the syrup over the baked phyllo pastry. Cover the baklava with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Sprinkle some roughly chopped pistachios over top of each serving.